Saturday, February 10, 2007

Some Precious Kids

Wednesday I was fortunate enough to to go on a field trip with one of my little special ed kids. This little 6 year old guy has Down's Syndrome. The teacher is convinced that he has a terrible problem with weakness, but my opinion is that he is just a little bit of a brat! Today I took him by the hand, while the teacher and teacher's aide took two autistic boys, and off we went on a walking tour of Olde Town Conyers to find shapes. We were looking for triangles, circles, squares, and rectangles. Well, that is what the adults were doing. The boys were busy yelling and trying to run off to scare us all to death. Our adventure concluded with pizza at the Greek Pizza House. I took my little person to the bathroom where he thoroughly enjoyed turning the light on and off and flushing the toilet a bunch of times. Through the whole outing so far, he had not spoken a word to me. But when I cut his pizza into bites, he laid his head on my shoulder, smiled an "I love you" smile, and said, "Good job!" It just doesn't get much better than that!

Today I attended a performance of the Statewide 6th Grade Honor Chorus, starring my baby!!! He looked so handsome in his bow tie and crisp white shirt! Actually, there were 500 6th graders from all over the state, divided into two choirs. They had practiced at their own schools for a few weeks, but came together just yesterday for the first time. They were INCREDIBLE!!! The performance was professionally recorded, and I eagerly await the CD in the mail. I am blessed to have two wonderful sons, and to be able to enjoy the company of so many other great kids every week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home