Monday, January 22, 2007

Sleeping in Weird Places Again

We have developed a couple of weird habits over the past year, such as wandering around in the woods at night and sleeping in weird places. This weekend I tried out sleeping in a top bunk underground in an EOC bunker. Yep, I was off with the Defense Force again, this time with the 3rd Battalion for their field training exercise. This was one of the most well-organized and well-planned missions I have participated in with the GSDF so far.

I reported to the National Guard Armory in Winder on Saturday morning, then drove in a convoy to Cornelia. That is where the Habersham County EOC bunker was located. We then spent the day learning about seach & rescue and helicopter operations. A short drive away was the Habersham Airport. I loaded three soldiers in the Jeep and headed off. I always goof around with the kids when I make a sharp turn and say, "We're all gonna die! We're all gonna die!" Well, I forgot and did that with these guys in the Jeep, and they didn't know what to think! I cracked up laughing and had to explain my joke.

Out on the airfield we practiced loading and unloading casualties from the Huey. Once again I found myself strapped to a litter and being hoisted in the chopper by 4 soldiers. Then they started up the chopper, and it was an unreal feeling walking under those big blades as they beat the air. We learned how to safely maneuver around the chopper and communicate with the crew using handsignals. We also got to practice being ground guides to assist the choppers in landing and taking off. Back at the bunker, I gave the first aid and safety briefing before we all climbed into our bunks and went to sleep. This morning was cold and rainy. After a brief class on ropes and knots we packed up and headed to the airport. We were to do a search & rescue operation, and, if the weather held, more with some helicopters. A civilian life-flight chopper landed, and they taught us how to get into the chopper and shut it down in case of a crash. We also learned how to load and unload patients from it. The weather began to worsen, and the commander called off the rest of the exercise due to the cold and sleet we were beginning to get.

I headed home to my nice warm house with my nice warm husband, and a bed I wouldn't kill myself falling out of. It is fun being out with the soldiers of the GSDF, but there is no place like home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home