Sunday, July 30, 2006

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

We attended church this morning with Barry's dad and Reba at their church in Covington. It was quite a change from what I am used to. The music was loud and contemporary, and the congregation swayed and clapped with their hands in the air. Communion was very different, and the pastor's message was delivered differently than I had experienced before - not that it was a bad thing. I guess I can get used to many things if it benefits my children.

One thing that really bothered me was the way some people chose to come to worship. You're in God's House...can you not at least comb your hair? There were people in tank tops with spaghetti straps, pants that barely covered the girl's rear, guys in t-shirts and shorts, and others in ragged jeans and flip-flops. One teen on the front pew sat through the service with a hat on!!! Most of the young men did not know where barber shops were located in Covington. Barry's dad said that you have to do things to get the kids in the church, and I can agree with that. I can accept the way they are dressed if that is the best they can do, but I don't have to condone it. I felt like we stood out today. I wore a modest dress, Daniel wore slacks and a golf shirt, and Barry and Aaron wore dress shirts and ties. The rest of the bunch looked like a bus had pulled up to WalMart and loaded them up without telling them where they were going. Bring them in by all means, but set an example of how they should conduct themselves. Sitting in church won't make you a Christian. I can sit in an oven all day, but it doesn't make me a biscuit!

I'm sorry. I know I should not be judgemental, but I was taught that there were just certain things you should do. You wear shoes in a restaurant, don't spit your gum out in a parking lot, and dress nice when you go to church. Now I wouldn't feel comfortable in a church that dressed so fancy that you feel unworthy to share a pew with the bejeweled lady beside you. But would it honestly be bad to expect folks to put a tiny bit of effort into their appearance? Pull up your pants, comb your hair, and TAKE OFF YOUR HAT!!! It just shows that you respect where you are and why you are there.

Barry and I had a long conversation about the day when we got back home. The boys enjoyed the service. Daniel went with the kids his age after Communion, and Aaron stayed with us. He followed along in the Bible and listened intently to the young pastor's message. Admittedly, his sermon was informative and enlightening. I didn't really like the way he referred to the distraction the young children would be in the church if they did not have an area of their own to go to for worship. I have heard many older ministers say it is a poor preacher who can't preach over a crying baby. What's wrong with a family worshipping as a family? What's wrong with teaching your kids to sit still for an hour? People say they can't take their kids to weddings and funerals because they can't control them. Well, maybe if they spent some time with them in church they'd behave better in other places. I do like the idea of bringing God's message to them in language they can understand, but parent's share this responsibility too. I can turn to the boys when something comes up they don't quite understand, and take the time to explain it. Admittedly, this pastor definitely had a friendly manner and a talent for reaching his listeners. But I didn't really think it was appropriate when at the end of his sermon he came around and SAT on the altar. I'd tear up my boys' behinds if they ever did that!

Ultimately I will do what I hope is best for the kids. They're just beginning their walk with Christ and need a good foundation. If they can get it in a contemporary church, I will give up my comfort zone for that. But they will look like young gentlemen going to church. They will be clean, their hair will be trimmed, they will dress in a respectful manner, and a hat will not be worn during the service.

Respect is spoken in our home, and that's just the way it is. And on that point, I WILL NOT BEND.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home