Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father's Day

Fathers come in all shapes and sizes and have their own particular style, but they are all special in their own way. I have been very blessed to have some great people in my life to celebrate today.

Let's get one thing straight right away...my daddy was the best! I don't know of anyone who did not respect and like my dad. Daddy always set a good example for me, and I try hard to live up to his expectations. Daddy was strict with me, and I am better for it. I got spankings when I was wrong, and I didn't turn out to be an axe murderer because of it. Daddy was a big influence in my life. I'm a ballet school drop-out because of him - He got me hooked on bluegrass music, and you just don't do pirouettes to that! He taught me to sing "Indian Love Call" before I could hold my own head up. I can change a tire, cut wood, shoot, and plow. I learned that "no, by God, not EVERYBODY" was doing stuff, and that "if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his big old butt." I also learned to love people and to love helping them. Daddy had friends everywhere - old, young, rich, poor, every color, and every background. Daddy was an honest, upright gentleman.

I had lunch today with my grandfather. Papa is another wonderful influence in my life. He has probably forgotten more than I'll ever even learn! Papa never seems to be at a loss on how to make something work. Papa is still a hard-working and very intelligent man. He may be 80, but he still gets that excited-little-boy look on his face when he and Barry get their rifles and cammo and head off to the woods for the day! Papa is just an all-around good guy!

Barry has to rank up there in the father department. He sets a good example for our little men - both of whom try their best to be like him and make him proud. I think that is why they enjoy scouts as much as they do, because it is an activity they can do with him. Barry is their hero! I'm always impressed with the way people in all positions in the military defer to him. His head just stores way too much stuff!!! He has a wonderful, loving heart, and a beautiful soul!

If I'm going to list fathers and father-figures, I can't leave this one out: Uncle Bob. When I was little, it was really cool to have an uncle in the Navy in an exotic place. He'd bring home pilot wings and Navy hats and hermit crabs. He was brave enough to haul a bunch of us to Six Flags and the Varsity, and brave enough to help teach me to drive. He's the kind of guy you can enjoy a Disney cartoon with or have a deep theological discussion with. Uncle Bob has always been there for me, no matter what.

Thanks guys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home