Saturday, June 17, 2006

My Baby's Getting Too Big

The last couple of months have been a time of tremendous growth for my boys. Both have gotten much taller, but what has gone on inside has really been the big change. Mama said I grew up too fast, and with my own sons I see it too.

Daniel has been really asserting himself as a leader this week. He reminds Aaron of things, and suggests consequences when Aaron makes a mistake. I have to remind him that he is the YOUNGER brother! Aaron, to his credit, has not whacked him yet. Daniel is a very funny little guy. While we were out I saw some plants in a yard called red hot poker plants. I remarked how pretty I thought they were. Daniel said they looked like toilet brushes. I don't think I'll plant any of those after all.

Aaron leaves in the morning for Boy Scout Camp in Tennessee. This is the first time he's been away from home with anyone other than family - and a whole state away! He was thrilled, Daniel was looking forward to being King-For-A-Week, Barry was fine and dandy with it, and I have been a worry-wort. That's my baby! I don't care if he's 11 or 70! And I worry like a mama: Did I pack enough socks? Can he manage his money for a week? Will he be safe and happy? Will he still be my little boy when he gets home and still need me? I love seeing the young man he is becoming, and I'm proud of him. It's just happening so fast now!

This week, Aaron became the first of the new scouts in his troop to earn their first badge. He came out of the scoutmaster's office with a big smile and the new patch in his hand. I want to see both of my boys stick with scouting and get their Eagle awards in a few years.

And yes, I'll be standing there looking at them and saying, "That's my baby!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home