Sunday, May 07, 2006

Doin' My Thing

Talk about a full weekend! After a big storm Friday afternoon, I thought for sure the camping trip was going to be a wash-out. But Friday evening found us setting up our tent in the woods with 20 of our buddies - 11 Cub Scouts and their families. Barry helped us set up, but couldn't stay due to drill the next morning. We had a campfire and roasted marshmallows and did all the "camping" stuff. Some of the boys worked on earning their Whittlin' Chip, which means they know how to safely use a pocket knife. I, the courageous Wolf Den Leader, sat on my behind and enjoyed letting others do the work! Finally the boys began to tire and wandered off toward their tents. It seems there is always a small group intent on mischief, and this time I was right in the middle of it! I don't know when I have had more fun running through the woods in the middle of the night! Tents were rattled, strange noises filled the woods, and two frogs (Fred & Ethel) went camping in one man's tent. The kids were well-behaved, but the small group of adults had too much fun with them. I stayed up mostly out of the desire to make sure that Bill and the bunch didn't get me!!! I laughed so hard, which is difficult when you are trying to sneak around quietly! We staggered off to bed around 3 AM. The next morning we were treated to biscuits and sausage gravy. Then we fished and played until lunch, which was spaghetti and homemade ice cream. The afternoon was spent with more fishing and playing, as well as packing up the gear. We really had a blast.


How I missed the exit Sunday morning I am not quite sure. In my moment of desperation I turned to someone who would surely know where I erred. I was prepared for the voice that answered, but the words surprised me - and cracked me up! "What can I do for you, Private?" After my giggle I told Barry of my dilemma. He got me turned back around and headed for my drill at the Confederate Avenue State Complex. "Thank you, Sir," I replied, which caused him to laugh too.

At this drill I felt like I was beginning to blend into a team. Though I still felt awkward, I learned a good bit during the briefings we had today. We had mini-classes on heat injuries, as well as insect bites. I finally felt that I had something to contribute as the discussion turned to brown recluse spider bites, as I have treated my share. Everyone was very nice and interested in what I had to say.

I wasn't sure if I had made the right decision in joining the Georgia State Defense Force when I first turned in my paperwork, as they seemed pretty disorganized that day. Over the past two times I have reported, my opinion has changed. Though it is often a long way to drive, it is both enjoyable and rewarding. I think I can benefit from it, and benefit others as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home