Saturday, May 13, 2006

Relay For Life

For the second weekend in a row, I stayed up half the night roaming around. This time it was for a good cause - the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life. The event took place practically in my own backyard at the Georgia International Horse Park from 7 PM until 7 AM the next morning. Mama and I signed on with the team from the elementary school where the therapy department is based. She and I walked from a little after 7 PM until after 2 AM, and enjoyed every minute of it. The track was encircled by tents and RV's belonging to the various teams walking that night. Directly around the track were luminarias inscribed with names in honor or memory of those impacted by this dreadful disease. Mama and I carefully located the ones we had sold to raise money for the cause. These included dear friends still fighting this disease, husbands and wives of friends lost to cancer, Barry's grandfather, and two of my great-grandparents. Luminaries were also placed in the grandstands spelling out in giant letters the word "HOPE". I didn't hear what the final amount raised was, but I hope the money brings us closer to ending the reign of terror that cancer has had.

Mama and I had a wonderful evening walking and talking and visiting people we knew. We enjoyed the music and entertainment, which included a crazy hat contest and the "Ms. Relay" competition in which all the contestants were men in drag! (Not a pretty sight!) We made plans to have our own relay team next year with friends and family members and stay all night. She and I have participated in walks for many charities, but this one was the most fun event so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home