Sunday, April 09, 2006

Who's Child Are You?

Friends are a valuable thing, even if they serve mostly to remind you of the differences in this world. We are blessed to have friends of all backgrounds, all ethnic groups, all levels of the economic spectrum, and of varying beliefs. We strive to set a good example for our children both personally and in the company we keep. I have never believed in being one of those people who runs around reminding everyone that I am a Christian. I would much prefer that they see it and not have to be told.

This afternoon we attended a reception for a man I consider responsible for part of my early growth as a Christian. Reverend Jim Martin retired after serving as the pastor of Lithonia First Baptist Church for nearly 27 years. We waited in the receiving line for over an hour just to get into the fellowship hall to greet him and his wife. (In fact Mama joked with him and told him she thought by the line of people that the Pope himself must be here. Without missing a beat he replied, "I am here...Pope Jimmy the First!") Reverend Martin is a jolly, quick-witted, genuinely caring man who has truly blessed countless lives with not only the Word of God but with Christian love and fellowship. He has counted himself an honorary member of our family for as long as I can recall, and is welcomed in as one of our own at the big dinner before Christmas. As a teen I attended services at this church, and it was there that, I guess you could say, things "clicked" for me as a Christian. With Reverend Martin, you never felt insignificant or unimportant because of your age. When I have sought his counsel, I have received it. When I needed spiritual comfort, it was always there. Reverend Martin leaves some mightly big shoes to fill for the next pastor. It is plain for all to see that he is a child of God.

Later this afternoon we attended a surprise birthday party for a friend we have not seen in about 5 years. When we first married we spent many, many enjoyable evenings with him and his wife. Looking back it seems that as Barry and I grew in one direction, they were drawn in another. Barry and I became more active in the church, and Barry felt the call to the ministry. This young man, however, had an increased fascination with the occult. He regards himself as some sort of mage or mystic. It might sound weird, but there are places in his house that just don't feel "right" to me. Tonight I felt very different from the people around me. Judging someone else is wrong, but I felt like we were square pegs in round holes. The boys played outside and enjoyed themselves, but when they entered the house I wanted to know precisely where they were. We went downstairs to see some new photos of the family and passed a room that seemed to draw the interest of the whole group. Barry stepped inside the door to view a poster on the wall, and I followed. In the center of the room was a column painted with colorful designs and strange markings. The room felt odd, and as Barry stepped away to look at another poster I shivered as though the temperature dropped. I decided to step into the doorway to wait for him. Aaron remarked later that in another room it suddenly grew very warm in a certain spot.

On the way home Barry and I discussed the evening and invitation to come back and play games. I told Barry that if he chose to go and play games with them, that I would not be joining them. We both agreed that we would not feel comfortable without the other one there. We also talked with the children about the importance of remembering who's child you are, and not doing things you'd be uncomfortable talking to Jesus about. You have to pick who you are going to walk with. We have other friends, like our dear neighbors, who make you feel good to be with because the Holy Spirit just surrounds them. No matter what your day has been like, when you give Kay or Terry a hug you just automatically feel better. Then you have this other couple, people I care about but I worry about and pity also. There is just such a feeling of decay around them. Their lives are really the square pegs, but their marriage, their home, their family are all round holes that just aren't fitting right.

Times change and people do too. I am not perfect and do not lead a perfect life. But I do know who's child I am. Daddy was an honest, Christian man. Mama has always led by example down the path of a Christian life. I am blessed to know that I am my Heavenly Father's child.

Our home may be noisy and disorganized, but it is happy and full of love.

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home