Thursday, March 29, 2007

Hi, My Name Is Speaker

Well, today was one of those "good for the self esteem" days. It was Career Day at the elementary school. Barry and I get invited every year. I think he is the one they really want (because the recruiters give him lots of goodies to hand out) and I get asked so I don't get my feelings hurt!

He and I signed up for the whole day, and both had the opportunity to go to Daniel's class. I got to sit in on one of Barry's presentations, and the kids just LOVED him. He let them try on all kinds of gear and had them engaged in questions. In fact, I had to prompt him when his time was running out. I do have to admit that it is a great feeling when the kids see you walk in and yell, "Daniel's mom!!!" I did learn a few things. The most important is never to ask a group of first graders if they have ever had a broken bone. EVERYONE has a story about a broken bone or something, and you have to listen to them all.

I did get on my soapbox with the kids, and I pray it made an impact on them. I talked about why you should never make fun of someone who has a disability or disfigurement. Their little faces were very serious as they listened. I told them they'd be very surprised at what kids with disabilities can do. I told them about blind children reading with their fingers, about Miracle League Baseball, and wheelchair basketball games at Johnson Park. They were amazed. One fifth grader asked how she could volunteer with Miracle League.

Now, why did I title this post the way I did? When I visited a Kindergarten class, the children had been told they'd have a speaker. When I walked in, the teacher said, "Here's our speaker!" After school Barry and I stood outside waiting for Daniel. As that Kindergarten class passed by, they all waved and said, "Bye, Speaker!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home