Friday, November 24, 2006

A Thankful Heart

The neatly-dressed elderly gentleman sat just over from us in the nearly empty restaurant tonight. It was well after 9:00 PM. Only once or twice did he look up from his plate. From my seat I watched his weathered hands methodically buttering his cornbread. I noted the wedding band on his hand, as well as the table he shared with only his memories. There was such a sadness about him. Here it is, the day after Thanksgiving. Christmas music played softly. Our little foursome chatted happily as we waited for our supper. But time and time again, my gaze went to the gentleman. I could have cried so easily. What could I have said to him? I wanted to ask him to sit with us. I wanted to pay for his meal. I wanted to just give him a big hug! Not knowing just what to do, I asked God to please bless him. I guess I just wanted him to feel in his heart that someone still cares.

How different the atmosphere was just an hour or two earlier. We stood in the middle of the city of Stone Mountain's street party with Mama and "Uncle" Frank, and sang and laughed as we waited for Santa. He arrived atop a firetruck with bagpipers leading the way. The great tree was lit, artificial snow floated in the air, and fireworks lit up the sky. From there we all piled in the red Jeep and went into Stone Mountain Park with the intention of eating there - WRONG! There was a three-hour wait, so we just wandered and shopped and giggled.

We are so very blessed to have the family that we have. There is no reason to be down! You know there is someone who is just a phone call away. I thought a lot about Thanksgivings past, how we'd get to my Mawmaw's house early to help chop celery and other fixins for the meal. The house smelled wonderful, and soon the cousins came piling in. If it was warm, the kids would take their plates onto the big rock for lunch. If it was cold, the big old house just stretched to accommodate us all, no matter how many there were. And we truly never knew quite how many to expect, but there was always plently of food, and plenty of love to go around.

My Mawmaw is gone now, and so are Daddy, Baby Jim, and Uncle Gibo. The house has been sold, and my boys won't share a holiday meal with cousins on the big rock. Thanksgivings have changed as far as the celebration, but the spirit is still there. Mama and I cook, and there always seems to be enough food and enough love to go around with plenty to spare! This year the table fed Mama, the four of us, Granny & Papa, Walt, and Frank. That's another great thing about our family: It isn't just made up of the ones we got stuck with, but also the ones we hand-picked! Walt's been an uncle since I was about seven. Frank has only spent the past three Thanksgivings as an uncle, but his place is firmly cemented in our fruity little family tree! You don't have to spend a holiday alone unless you just want to. Even then, we're going to call you and bring you a plate to your door, so you might as well get off your behind and come on over!

That brings my mind back to the lonely old gent. I hope he has family someplace who love him and let him know he is still so important to them all. I hope there are grandchildren who think Grandpa is just the coolest old guy and plaster his fridge with Crayola masterpieces. I hope he will not dwell on what he has lost, but instead on all the times things were wonderful.

I have requested prayers for babies and little ones many times in the past, but tonight I ask that you remember a lonely stranger, and pray for the peace and perfect love that God can give. Look out at the world with a thankful heart, and, like Mawmaw's house, it will stretch to accommodate as many people as come your way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home