Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Why I Have Two Children

Want a simple answer to the question, "Why do I have two children?" Here it is: Because, thankfully, I can send all the other ones home!!!

We spend the weekend at Bert Adams Scout Reservation in Covington with a bunch of boys for the Duty To God Encampment. Most of these kids had never camped before, and they really had a great time. The only trouble we had was one little boy who decided he'd just not enjoy anything for a while. He got mad because I wouldn't let him squish a praying mantis. He got mad because we took a big stick away from him when he almost hit someone. He got mad because he was tired. He got mad...well you see the pattern here. He got un-mad, however, when I got my cell phone and told him I'd be happy to call his dad. Another little boy tried very hard to eat us out of house and home. Every time I turned around I'd find this little person in the food box! They really were cute though, and we had a wonderful day and evening. Vespers service in the open-air chapel by lantern light was gorgeous. They enjoyed walking across the lighted bridge to the big campfire across the lake. Some got a little worried when they retired a tattered flag by burning it, so Barry talked at length about that when we got back around our own little fire for cocoa and smores. Finally I made sure everyone was tucked warmly in their tents and hit the sack. Barry and I got up in the wee hours and built up the fire. We got breakfast underway and laughed along with another dad as the little zombies staggered forth from the tents. Hopefully next time we'll have more adult participation, but for our first attempt at organizing an outing for our little band, everything went great!

Halloween was tonight, and I was the bodyguard and driver for Indiana Jones and a brave, axe-weilding knight. Of course they were adorable!!! Aaron thought he was big stuff wearing his Pawpaw's hat. Daddy would have loved to see that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home