Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Importance of Family

Since school has been out, I have gotten behind in my writing. July has been a fun month with the boys, but has presented some challenges too.

Here's the good stuff. Barry and I both got a little older this month. I celebrated his birthday by getting promoted to Corporal! The whole family went to the camper for the weekend, and Granny & Papa were already at theirs. I got up, got in uniform, and we headed to Dahlonega for my battalion's family day picnic. We had a great day too! Barry was a hit at the gear exchange table - I think he talked to everyone in creation! All the guys had to meet Papa and talk to him, and he really seemed to enjoy the attention. The boys attended "boot camp" and learned to march and such. Mama and Granny chattered all day and enjoyed all the cute babies that were there. Finally I was promoted in front of my family. The Colonel let Barry pin my rank since it is in such a stupid place on the ACUs. We celebrated afterward with a round of milkshakes at Chick-fil-A.

I had pre-planning the last week of the month, and was surprised by a call from Granny. They were on their way home from the camper, and Papa was having trouble breathing. They were determined that they had to come home to THEIR doctors, and insisted that they were going to the cardiologist's office. I tried every way I could to get them to stop and call 911 or at least go straight to the ER, but they came all the way home anyway. I met them at the doctor's office when he decided to send Papa right across the street as a direct admit. Turns out, Papa had a heart attack.

It's been up and down since, with a lot of late nights, odd hours, and relying on family to pull together. Thankfully, with only one exception, that is exactly what has happened. Papa isn't exactly a spring chicken, but he is a tough old bird! I pray everything will work out alright. We all know the power of prayer, and that is our best option right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home